Clinical Labs offers a variety of tests to help you monitor patients presenting with cardiac-related symptoms. These range from an ECG through to 24-hour Holter monitoring, which is particularly useful in patients' whose arrhythmias may be short-lived, paroxysmal and even asymptomatic.
Ambulatory ECG monitoring has been developed as a means of recording the ECG over a set period of time in patients suspected of having cardiac arrhythmias.
A Holter monitor is preferable to all other monitoring as it provides a 24-hour window of the heart rate changes and can be partnered to symptoms.
Arrhythmia indications for ambulatory ECG monitoring
- Cardiac palpitations
- Unexplained syncope or dizziness
- Suspected slow heart rhythms
- Hereditary ‘‘electrical” abnormalities
- Evaluate the abnormal ECG; ectopy and heart block
- Cryptogenic stroke evaluation to document paroxysmal atrial fibrillation
- Evaluation of success of either antiarrhythmic or ablative therapy
- Evaluation of ventricular tachycardia
- Paediatric monitoring
- Following acute myocardial infarction
- Potentially lethal arrhythmias with congestive and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- Monitor cardiac implantable electronic device therapy
- Chest pain or dyspnoea thought to be associated with arrhythmias
The role of GPs in cardiac testing
Cardiologists prefer that patients presenting with the common warning signs discussed above – palpitations, unexplained dizziness, slow heart rhythms – undertake Holter monitor testing from their GP before they are referred on. The patient can undertake the Holter test as they wait to see a cardiologist. Then the cardiologist already has the data and results on-hand when the patient sees them. This will shorten the diagnostic process, allowing the cardiologist to make the most informed decision from the outset.
How to order Holter monitor testing at Clinical Labs
Step 1 - Complete a Clinical Labs referral form and request 24-hour Holter monitor.
Step 2 - Patients will need to book an appointment to have their Holter monitor fitted.
- VIC, NSW - Patients visit the Clinical Labs website clinicallabs.com.au/location. Type in their postcode and select ‘Holter’ from the drop down box. Select their closest collection centre and call the number listed.
- SA - Patients need to call SA Cardiac Services on (08) 8205 5699 to make an appointment.
- WA - Clinical Labs Holter monitor service is not currently available in WA.
Patient’s will be charged an out-of-pocket fee of $40 for the Holter monitor service (no out-of-pocket fee for pensioners/health care card holders).
Your patient’s Holter monitor report will be available within 5 business days from the return of the Holter monitor to the Clinical Labs Collection Centre.
Holter Monitors and their Importance in the Identification of Cardiac Arrhythmias by Associate Professor Harry G Mond OAM