First Trimester Screening (FTS)First Trimester Screening is the current recommended screening program to identify women with an increased risk of having an affected foetus with chromosomal aneuploidy such as Down syndrome (Trisomy 21), Edwards syndrome (Trisomy 18) or Patau syndrome (Trisomy 13).Combined FTS (cFTS) includes the Multiple of Medians (MoMs) of two blood chemistry results, pregnancy-associated placental protein-A (PAPP-A) and free β-human chorionic gonadotropin (free β-hCG), along with the ultrasound Nuchal Translucency (NT) measurement to assess the risk of aneuploidy. This assessment has 90% sensitivity and 95% specificity for Down syndrome.Benefits of cFTS
• Recommended by clinical guidelines for pregnant women of all age groups.
• Early detection of Down syndrome with a rate of >90%.
• Reduces the number of invasive tests.
• The test is safe.
• It can be offered to pregnant women with failed Non-Invasive Pre-natal Testing (NIPT).
• MoM values of PAPP-A could be predictive of IUGR or Pre-eclampsia risk.