CAUTION: The fluid in the container is an acid preservative. First aid instructions are on the container.
- Store out of reach of children.
- Do not discard preservative before commencing collection.
- Because of the additive in the container, do not pass urine directly into the container.
- Pass urine into another clean container first, for example a clean ice cream container or glass jar and then transfer the urine into the 24 hour urine container. Be careful not to get the preservative on your hands.
- Commence collection early in the morning and record this time on the label of the 24 hour container provided.
- Completely empty your bladder at this time and discard the urine (pass the urine into the toilet).
- During the next 24 hours, collect all urine passed into a clean container using the technique described above in ‘special requirements’.
- Exactly 24 hours after the starting time, empty your bladder and collect the urine into the container using the technique described above in ‘special requirements’.
- Record the completion time on the label of the 24 hour container and store in a cool place.
- Write your surname, first given name, date of birth and date of collection on the container label.
- Return the filled container to an Australian Clinical Laboratories Collection Centre as soon as possible.
- The collection staff will check your details (surname, first given name, date of birth and date/time of collection on the container label) against the pathology request form to ensure the sample is matched to the doctor’s request. This is done to ensure the safety and security of reporting your test results.