For children not toilet-trained
- The parent/carer must wash hands thoroughly.
- Cleanse child’s genital area thoroughly with sterile water wipe.
- Put on the paediatric urine collector (remove backing paper from adhesive by lifting lower left or right hand corner).
- Remove centre piece to expose opening.
- For males, attach the bag allowing the penis to project through the opening.
- For females, attach the bag so the opening covers the upper part of the genitalia.
- As soon as possible after urine has been passed (minimum requirement is 1ml), transfer to sterile container.
- Remove lid and hold bag over container.
- Empty the bag by cutting the projection at the bottom corner and allowing the urine to flow into the container. Immediately replace the lid, ensuring correct threading and secure closure.
- Write patient’s surname, first given name and date of birth and time/date of collection on container.
- Refrigerate the specimen or keep in a cool place until returned to an Australian Clinical Laboratories Collection Centre.
The collection staff are required to check your details (surname, first given name, date of birth and date and time of collection on the container label) against the pathology request form to ensure the sample is matched to the doctor’s request. This is done to ensure the safety and security of reporting your test results.