Drug and Alcohol Testing
Drug and Alcohol misuse is estimated to cost Australian business billions of dollars annually and increases the risk of accidents and incidents in the workplace.
Through Workplace Health and Safety Legislation, employers have the responsibility to:
- Provide a healthy and safe working environment
- identify and manage hazards in the workplace
Employers can be proactive by undertaking the detection and management of the risks associated with misuse of recreational drugs and alcohol amongst employees and contractors.
Australian Clinical Labs works in cooperation with occupational health physicians, unions and employees by providing this service in a sensitive and professional manner. Clinical Labs offers a comprehensive national drug and alcohol testing service and provides nationally accredited staff, on site drug collection and laboratory screening and confirmation testing.
Why Conduct Drug and Alcohol Testing?
Improve workplace safety
- Fewer accidents and disciplinary actions
- Increased workforce morale
- Assist employees overcome or modify their patterns of use of such substances
- Reduction in absenteeism
- Earlier detection and resolution of problems affecting job performance
- Reduction in product / service defects
- Reduction in health, property and liability insurance costs
- Reduction in workers compensation claims
- Decreased costs in hiring and training of new employees
Australian Clinical Labs offers:
- Fully accredited (AS/NZS 4308:2008) collection staff in all States for on-site collection and laboratory based testing
- Collection, labelling and transport of samples are carried out according to strict ‘Chain of Custody’ protocols as per National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA) guidelinesfor AS/NZS 4308:2008
- Provision for pre-employment drug and alcohol testing as well as comprehensive, random, for cause, post incident and return to work testing
- Laboratories are fully NATA accredited to AS/NZS 4308:2008 for Screening and Confirmation utilising Gas Chromatography / Mass Spectrometry.
- Staff training to AS/NZS 4308:2008 and AS 4760:2006
- On site and laboratory adulteration testing
- Education and advice on policy development and implementation
Specific Drug + Alcohol Services:
- Point of Care (POC) testing devices (Urine + Saliva) for on-the-spot drug testing.
- Tamper evident Urine Collection Kits
- Alcohol testing – Breath Alcohol, AS3547:1997 accredited equipment
- Laboratory screening and Confirmation of the 5 drug classes included in AS/NZS 4308:2008:
- Cannabinoids (i.e. marijuana)
- Amphetamine Substances (e.g. speed, ecstasy)
- Benzodiazepines (Valium etc.)
- Opiates (e.g. heroin, morphine)
- Testing for other drugs upon request (e.g. Barbiturates, Methadone, Phencyclidine)
- Onsite drug testing services
- Audit of worksite focusing on collection facilities to ensure it meets AS/NZS 4308:2008 requirements
- Specimen collection arrangements to suit individual company needs
- The use of selected Clinical Labs collection centres
- Expert Specialist and medical advice
- Expert advice and support in the case of a legal challenge
Drug Detection Limits
Drug Detectable Period
Single use 2-7 days
Light use Up to 20 days
Chronic use Up to 90 days
Single use Up to 3 days
Chronic use Up to 20 days
Opiates Up to 4 days
Amphetamines Up to 2-3 days
Benzodiazepines Up to 3 days
(Longer with chronic use)
Alcohol Up to 1 day
For further information or to arrange testing please call the Australian Clinical Labs Commercial Department on 13 Labs (13 52 27).