Privacy Collection Notice
Who do we collect your personal information from?
Australian Clinical Labs Limited (ABN 94 645 711 128) including all of its Related Bodies Corporate as defined in the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) (we, us, or our) collects your personal information directly from you, your referring healthcare professional and or other authorised persons through, in relation to, and or in connection with your pathology requests.
Information we collect
The types of information we are likely to collect about you, record and retain include:
- date of birth;
- address (postal and email);
- contact number;
- Medicare number, Veterans’ Affairs number, Health Care Card number or pension number;
- private health fund and health insurance cover details;
- medical history and other health information relevant to your medical care, including but not limited to your previous and current medical history and your family medical history (where clinically relevant);
- pathology tests requested and the results of pathology testing;
- specimen collected and used for the purposes of pathology testing;
- requesting/referring doctor’s details and other doctors’ and health services details to whom we are directed to provide the pathology results.
Purpose of collection
We use the information we collect to:
- to provide, and assist healthcare professionals in providing, you with appropriate medical care;
- provide pathology services as requested by you and or your healthcare professional;
- provide test results, to you and or your relevant healthcare professionals and health care services;
- obtain payment from, as applicable, Medicare Australia, you, your private health insurance fund, or from any organisation responsible for payment of any part of your account (such as the Department of Veterans Affairs);
- contact you and or your relevant healthcare professional in the process of administering, managing, maintaining and improving our services, processes and procedures, including charging, billing and collecting debts;
- meet the legal and regulatory requirements for the provision of our pathology services.
What would happen if we did not collect your personal information?
Without your personal information we may not be able to perform the requested pathology tests or other services requested.
We understand how important it is to keep your information private and we only disclose your personal information to third parties in circumstances including but not limited to:
- continuity of care provided by healthcare professionals and services involved in your treatment or diagnosis;
- health insurance claims;
- billing and debt recovery;
- law court approved discovery processes;
- medical practitioner insurance claims;
- marketing and data analytics with a view to improve our services and patient care;
- legal or regulatory requirements.
We operate and communicate with organisations throughout Australia and overseas. We may disclose personal information to overseas recipients including recipients employed by our organisation located in Malaysia for the purposes of data entry into our laboratory computer systems, accounting and other administrative services. In such cases, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that such overseas recipients do not breach the APPs when handling your personal information.
Other useful information
- how to contact us;
- how to access or correct any personal information we hold about you;
- how to complain about a privacy breach;
- how we will deal with a privacy complaint.