Why test for exposure to hazardous chemicals?
WHS regulations state that businesses must ensure health monitoring is provided to workers carrying out ongoing work using, handling, generating or storing hazardous chemicals1. This duty of care to your staff ensures your employees are not exposed to levels of hazardous chemicals that could adversely affect their health.
What do we test for?
Clinical Labs offers a comprehensive Biological Monitoring service by which levels of hazardous chemicals are measured regularly, assuring organisations that they are meeting their responsibilities as an employer.
Biological monitoring is required by law if there is a significant risk of exposure to the following chemicals1:
- Arsenic (inorganic)
- Chromium (inorganic)
- Crystalline silica
- Lead (inorganic)
- Mercury (inorganic)
- 4,4’-Methylene bis(2-chloroaniline) (MOCA)
- Organophosphate pesticides
- Pentachlorophenol (PCP)
- Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH)Thallium
- Vinyl chloride
The analysis of all Biological Monitoring pathology samples is conducted in our state-of-the-art NATA-accredited laboratories under the supervision of our expert RCPA-accredited pathologists.
When should employees be tested?
- Before commencing work with the hazardous chemical. This is known as baseline-monitoring and is carried out so changes in the worker’s health can be identified during periods of potential exposure.
- Regularly during exposure to the hazardous chemical, particularly where excessive exposure occurs; for example, following spills or loss of containment.
- Where the worker has concerns that may relate to exposure to the hazardous chemical; for example, where relevant symptoms are identified.
- Upon completion of work with the hazardous chemical.
1. Safe World Australia. Health Monitoring For Exposure To Hazardous Chemicals. Feb 2013. https://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/system/files/documents/1702/guide-workers-health-monitoringexposure-hazardous-chemicals.pdf
For more information on the biological monitoring services offered by Clinical Labs, download the brochure below.
Contact our Commercial team today to find out more